Wellington, Fla. – Jan. 26, 2023 – International competition at the Adequan Global Dressage Festival kicked off Thursday, welcoming horse-and-rider combinations hailing from seven different countries to the featured class of the day, the CDI4* Grand Prix to qualify for the Grand Prix Freestyle. At the wrap of the competitive class, it was Germany’s Frederic Wandres aboard Bluetooth OLD who stole the victory with a score of 74.326%. With 8s across the board on the pair’s general impression, Wandres will be one to watch throughout the rest of the season.
Wandres and Bluetooth OLD, Hof Kassekman’s 13-year-old gelding, first began their career together in 2021 in Germany, but made their Wellington debut just last year in the first week’s World Cup qualifier. The pair frequently visited the winner’s circle, boasting scores over 80% in their Grand Prix Freestyle. They went on to successfully compete in CDIs in Achleiten, Aachen, Ludwigsburg, and Stuttgart before making the journey back to Wellington for the winter season.
Dancing into second place was Sweden’s Caroline Darcourt riding Lovsta Stuteri AB’s Lord Django. Their score of 71.587% became Darcourt’s new personal best in the Grand Prix, defeating her previous best of 70.283%, which she set here at the Adequan Global Dressage Festival just two short weeks ago.
The yellow ribbon went to Germany’s Anna-Christina Abbelen and Sam Donnerhall, owned by herself and Silke Abbelen-Mooren. The combination rode a clean test and was rewarded with a personal best score of 71.004%.
Competition at the Adequan Global Dressage Festival will continue Friday, with the CDI4* Grand Prix Freestyle set to take place at 7:00 p.m. in the International Arena.
FROM THE WINNERS CIRCLE
Frederic Wandres – CDI4* Grand Prix Winner
On his ride today:
“First of all, it is the first show for Bluetooth [OLD] this year here in Florida. For all of them, the first time out, we try to keep it a little bit safe and bring it home safely. There is room for more, I know that. I had one mistake in the 2s but overall he was very good. I am happy with another win for him, I think it is a good start for him this season.”
On his thoughts going into the test:
“Do it the best we can – like always!”
On his goals for 2023:
“I plan to finish the season here, we will maybe do two other shows. Then we will have the show circuit running in Europe, the Germany Championships, then the European Championships. We should always have our view open to what is coming.”
On tomorrow’s freestyle:
“I know from my last seasons it is always a very good atmosphere. I’m really looking forward to it!”
Results: CDI4* Grand Prix to Qualify for the Freestyle
Place / Rider / Country / Horse / Score
1. Frederic Wandres / GER / Bluetooth OLD / 74.326
2. Caroline Darcourt / SWE / Lord Django / 71.583
3. Anna-Christina / GER / Sam Donnerhall / 71.044
4. Morgan Barbancon / FRA / Bolero / 70.957
5. Morgan Barbancon / FRA / Habana Libre A / 70.565
6. Tinne Vilhelmson Silfven / SWE / Devanto / 70.326
7. Lehua Custer / USA / F.J. Ramzes / 68.782
8. Pablo Gomez Molina / ESP / Ulises De Ymas / 68.522
9. Benjamin Ebeling / USA / Indeed / 67.957
10. Claire Darnell / USA / Harrold S / 67.609
11. Carrie Schopf / ARM / Saumur / 67.261
12. Kerrigan Gluch / USA / Mejorano HGF / 67.152
13. Caroline Chew / SGP / Tribiani / 67.152
14. Codi Harrison / USA / Katholt’s Bossco / 66.87
15. Michael Klimke / GER / Harmony’s Sanrino RHP / 66.435
16. Patricia Fernando / VEN / Honnaisseur SJ / 65.782