March 23, 2023 – Wellington, Fla. – This afternoon, athletes hoping to qualify for Saturday’s CDI4* Grand Prix Special rode amongst those aiming to qualify for Friday’s CDI4* Grand Prix Freestyle. This made for one of the largest Grand Prix classes this season, consisting of nineteen combinations.
France’s Morgan Barbancon rounded off her inaugural Wellington season with a win in this competitive class, earning a 72.370%. Barbancon’s own 11-year-old, Habana Libre A (Zizi Top x United), gave his all from entry to final salute. The piaffe/passage was a huge highlight for the gelding, especially coming up the last centerline. It is apparent that her already top-quality horses have only gotten better as the season progressed.
“Today was 3% higher in the Grand Prix than we were last week. I would love more thoroughness in some parts of the canter, but it was fault free. He felt so motivated to go today. I really think he has gotten more confident week by week – I can not wait for this summer,” Barbancon said, “He was once very introverted. He has grown so much and I think I can get even more from him.”
Blue was not the only color ribbon Morgan Barbancon wore this afternoon. Her 17-year-old KWPN, Bolero (Johnson x Vincent), was rewarded with a 71.109%. Barbancon is now the first person in a CDI Grand Prix at the Adequan Global Dressage Festival to be named both Champion and Reserve Champion. Though Barbancon described the trot tour as, “not very powerful,” the canter tour was pleasantly opposite. Another mistake-free test resulted in her second spot on the podium.
Third place went to Tinne Vilhelmson Silfven and Lovsta Stuteri’s Devanto (De Chirico 3 x Lorentin). A 70.543% is what earned Silfven and the 14-year-old gelding the yellow ribbon. The three-time Olympian and seasoned AGDF competitor has had wonderful end to the 2023 season, also earning third place in last week’s CDI5*.
Friday, March 24, 2023 at 7:15pm EST will be the final under the lights Grand Prix Freestyle of the 2023 Adequan Global Dressage Festival.
CDI 4* Grand Prix Results
Rider / Country / Horse / Score
- Morgan Barbancon / FRA / Habana Libre A / 72.370%
- Morgan Barbancon / FRA / Bolero / 71.109%
- Tinne Vilhelmson Silfven / SWE / Devanto / 70.543%
- Michael Klimke / GER / Domino 957 / 68.522%
- Laurence Vanommeslaghe / GER / Havalon / 68.478%
- Alice Tarjan / USA / Candescent / 68.065%
- Dong Seon Kim / KOR / Galleria’s Bohemian / 67.782%
- Jennifer Hoffmann / USA / Rondoro Noblesse / 67.109%
- Paula Matute Guimon / ESP / Delagronge / 66.783%
- Susan Dutta / USA / Don Design DC / 66.761%
- Lehua Custer / USA / F.J. Ramzes / 65.674%
- Jemma Heran / AUS / Total Recall / 65.174%
- Katie Duerrhammer / USA / Paxton / 65.130%
- Virginia Yarur / CHI / Ronaldo / 64.196%
- Kristinia Harrison-Antell / USA / Finley / 63.478%
- Kymberly Pullen / USA / Hot Date / 63.370%
- Amy Swerdlin / USA / Quileute CCW / 62.500%
- Nancy Smith / USA / Damon’s Design / 61.848%
- Evi Strasser / CAN / Disney Tyme / 60.000%